Yes, I am actually combining toddler food with sports performance foods! This is so good, I am eating it before my long workouts (well today I did and I felt great). Unfortunately, I have not be able to find my typical treat, Odwalla SuperFood Bars, locally. I love Odwalla SuperFood bars because they are high in iron, carbohydrates, protein and other great nutrients. However, I just learned to make my own Super Food Bar and it is amazing, kid friendly, mother approved, gluten-free and nutrient dense.
My biggest problem feeding an infant a gluten-free diet is finding foods that are nutrient dense. My mission is to feed my child foods high in iron, calcium, B vitamins, vitamin D and fiber which are the nutrients typically lacking in a gluten-free meal plan.
This recipe which was adapted from Simply Gluten-Free and is specifically dedicated to increasing iron, fiber and healthy fats.
My sources of nutrient dense ingredients are the following:
Iron: seaweed, kelp, pumpkin
Fiber: seaweed, chia, flax, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds
Healthy Brain Power and Organ Developing Fats: peanut butter, chia, flaxseed, pastured butter, seaweed, and kelp
This recipe also provides sources of vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin, magnesium, potassium and little sodium. To help better absorb this high iron snack, please serve with orange slices, apple slices, strawberries or anything high in Vitamin C.
If you are wondering, you CANNOT taste the seaweed.
- 2.5 cups gluten-free oats
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter* (just peanuts in ingredient list)
- 1 medium mashed banana
- 1/2 cup local honey*
- 1/2 cup soaked pumpkin and sunflower seed mixture (soak in water for 6 hours, drain and dry)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pastured melted local butter*
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Hijiki Seaweed
- 1 tsp kelp (substitute salt)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Mix peanut butter, banana, honey, vanilla extract and butter until well blended.
- Add other ingredients.
- Grease a 8 x 8 pan.
- Spread granola mixture into pan.
- Bake on 350 for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.